The Solution for the European
Product Banks need access to cost-efficient funding and to diversify their funding channels.
Client Banks need to become more agile, offer their clients an attractive product selection and manage their liquidity in a flexible way.
Savers today expect transparency, security and best-in-class offers. They deserve a choice.
European savers are losing billions of euros every year as their deposit interest rates have often dropped below inflation. Many European banks could benefit from cross-border retail funding, but lack the scale or resources to operate their own retail deposit infrastructure. Other European banks hold an excess of retail deposits on their balance sheet, which they currently need to park with the ECB at negative rates.
Since 2011, we have developed a proprietary technology revolutionizing the value chain for savers and banks.
Deposit Solutions allows European banks to gather retail deposits from across Europe onto their home balance sheet without requiring their own retail infrastructure. Banks can offer their products on our platform, other banks can then market those offers directly to their own clients, who can access them without having to open a new account at another bank. This enables savers to choose multiple products from several banks using one bank account.
Our solution …
For Client Banks, Deposit Solutions offers an
efficient way to steer excess liquidity off your balance sheet, while deepening your client relationship.
For Product Banks, Deposit Solutions offers the one-stop, full service solution to gather retail deposits in Europe.
For Savers, Deposit Solutions offers access to best-in-class interest rates across the entire EU from one master account (either an account at your bank or your ZINSPILOT account).
For Financial Advisors, Deposit Solutions offers diversified deposit portfolios over multiple
Founded in 2011, Deposit Solutions is a leading European FinTech company headquartered in Hamburg, Germany. We have a long track record of successfully working with banks across Europe and have already mediated deposits in excess of several billion Euros. The company has more than 90 highly qualified staff members and is led by a team of very experienced finance and technology professionals. Deposit Solutions is backed by renowned European and US investors.
“With its unique approach, Deposit Solutions is revolutionizing the value chain in the retail deposit business“
– Peter Thiel, PayPal co-founder and early investor in Facebook, LinkedIn, Tesla and Deposit Solutions
Deposit Solutions employs a team of more than 90 highly qualified and motivated staff. The executive team combines first-in-class finance and technology experience:
Dr. Tim Sievers
- More than 14 years of experience in finance and in growing technology companies
- Before founding Deposit Solutions in 2011, Tim spent 5 years working as an Investment Manager at the equity firm Arcadia Beteiligungen
- Before that he gained experience in the management of technology companies as Managing Director at Longhours GmbH and Mondus GmbH
- In 2010, he was awarded the innovation prize “Pro Ideenfonds” by the EU and the Hanseatic City of Hamburg
- Tim holds an MA. PPE (Oxford University), an M.Sc. Econ. (London School of Economics) and a Dr. rer. pol. (University of Hamburg)
Max von Bismarck
- More than 16 years of experience in global financial markets and in growing asset management and technology companies
- Previously Partner and CEO Europe of SkyBridge Capital, a global alternative investment firm
- Former Director and Head of Investors at the World Economic Forum in Geneva and New York
- Advisor Europe to the Berggruen Institute and former Senior Advisor at Asia Pacific Research Center at Stanford University
- Max holds a German Legal State Exam and an MA Leadership (World Economic Forum in collaboration with Wharton School of Business, Columbia University, INSEAD and London Business School)
- More than 14 years of experience in banking, building scalable internet platforms and online marketing of financial products
- Previously Strategic Business Development Manager at OnVista Bank
- Former CEO of the German online finance portal OnVista
- Andreas started his career in the asset management at Deutsche Bank
- He holds a degree in Business Administration and Finance (University of Göttingen)
Michael Maximilian Mueller
- More than 11 years of experience in managing global growth and change management situations in private equity and non-private equity backed companies
- Previously CFO at TVSMILES, a mobile advertising publisher
- Former CEO at pvXchange, the world’s largest online B2B-marketplace for solar modules and inverters
- Michael began his career at the European Business Development division at Sony Germany
- He holds an MBA (IESE Business School in Barcelona)
Thomas von Hohenhau
- More than 8 years of experience in business development and in portfolio management
- 4 years of experience as founder and manager of ICT and marketing startups
- Previously in various senior management positions at Bank Julius Bär, last as Head of Portfolio Management International
- Thomas holds an M.A. Banking & Finance (University of St. Gallen (HSG) in Switzerland)
- More than 11 years of experience in banking, financial regulation and management consulting
- Previously spent 5 years at Lloyds Group in various positions in retail and regulatory management
- Former Chief of Staff to the COO of the BBC, the world’s largest public service broadcaster
- Tom began his career as a management consultant at Booz Allen Hamilton
- He holds an MA in Social and Political Science (Cambridge University)
We are proud to be backed by a team of renowned European and US investors who believe in transforming the retail savings market for the better:
Peter Thiel is an American entrepreneur and venture capitalist born in Germany. Thiel co-founded PayPal and served as its CEO and chairman. He is also co-founded Palantir, of which he is chairman. He was the first outside investor in Facebook and sits on the company´s board of directors. Thiel serves as president of Clarium Capital, as managing partner at Founders Fund, co-founder and investment committee chair of Mithril Capital Management and co-founder and chairman of Valar Ventures.
FinLab AG is one of the first and largest German company developers and investors in the financial services technology sector. Started in December 2014 with a balance sheet of EUR 35 millions and listed on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, FinLab focuses on incubating German-based FinTech start ups and investing globally in venture funding rounds of FinTech companies.
e.ventures is a global venture capital platform with an investment focus on early-stage consumer internet and mobile companies. The firm invests out of six funds, e.ventures US, e.ventures Europe, e.ventures Russia, Infinity e.ventures, Redpoint e.ventures and the e.ventures global growthfund. The firm’s team has been investing in internet companies for more than 17 years and operates as one team by combining a global investment strategy and philosophy with local presence and insights. e.ventures participated in the first as well as the second financing round of Deposit Solutions with the e.ventures europe and e.ventures global growthfund.
Greycroft Partners is a leading venture capital firm focused on early-stage investments in the internet, FinTech and mobile markets. Greycroft manages USD 800 millions and has made over 280 investments in more than 180 companies since inception in 2006. Some of their investments, besides Deposit Solutions, include Venmo, Maker Studios and the Huffington Post.
Valar Ventures is a venture capital firm backed by Peter Thiel. Valar Ventures manages USD 200 millions and has made over 40 Investments in more than 20 Companies. Valar’s core thesis is that an increasing number of transformative technology companies are being started outside of Silicon Valley, and that the founders of those companies benefit from having a US partner that understands the unique challenges and opportunities of building a global business from these emerging tech hubs. Some of their investments, besides Deposit Solutions, include N26, EyeEm and TransferWise.
Financial Times, Guy Chazan
“In a further sign of the German fintech industry’s growing appeal to international investors, Hamburg-based fintech Deposit Solutions announced this week that it had received new funding of €15m, including from Peter Thiel and Greycroft Partners, the prominent Silicon Valley venture capital group.“
EU-Startups, Thomas Ohr
“The fresh capital will be used to further develop the proprietary technology platform and continue Deposit Solutions´ international expansion, having already recently expanded from Germany to the UK and Switzerland. Deposit Solutions also plans to increase the number of employees at its UK HQ in the City of London and is expected to launch its retail platform in the UK in 2017.”
City A.M., Lynsey Barber
“Deposit Solutions gives access to the various offers from banks, for example saving accounts and the rates that go with them, but users don’t have to switch accounts. Deutsche Bank are among companies currently using the platform and the firm is close to getting Fidelity’s German subsidiary FFB on board.”
Business Insider UK, Oscar Williams-Grut
“Peter Thiel, the billionaire cofounder of PayPal and first outside investor in Facebook, has increased his investment in German fintech startup Deposit Solutions.”
Financial Times, Harriet Agnew
“Deposit Solutions allows European banks to offer their products on an open platform, enabling them to sell their products to rivals’ customers without expensive marketing or the need to operate their own retail infrastructure.”